Kulp History

Abram Metz Kulp

A.M. Kulp Elementary is named for Abram Metz Kulp, Superintendent of the Montgomery County Schools from 1924 until 1954. Prior to serving as superintendent, Mr. Metz was a teacher and a principal. He was well known and respected throughout the state of Pennsylvania for his many contributions to the field of education.


School Opening

A. M. Kulp Elementary School opened to the public on October 21, 1957, with twelve classrooms. The nearby E. B. Laudenslager Elementary School in Hatfield had a large pupil enrollment, so half of the student population was split off and sent to the new school. Kulp had two first, second, fourth and fifth grade classes. There was only one third grade class and there was no sixth grade. The building was officially completed and dedicated in the spring of 1958. A dedication and open house was held on Sunday, February 23, 2958.


Kulp Elementary joins the North Penn School District

When built, A. M. Kulp Elementary was part of the Hatfield School System. At that time, every town had its own school district. In 1966, the state strongly urged school districts to combine, and the A, M. Kulp Elementary School became part of the North Penn School District.

Building Additions

A major addition to the building was completed in 1963, giving Kulp nine additional classrooms, a library and a gymnasium. 

In 1994, four modular classrooms were added to the building.

As the school prepared to celebrate its 50th Anniversary, it also prepared for a major renovation project. Renovations to the school included a 27,488 square foot addition which houses the new gymnasium, cafeteria and kitchen, lavatories, art room, music rooms and boiler/mechanical room. The old gymnasium was converted into classroom space, as was the old boiler room. The old cafeteria and kitchen now house the school library. All existing classrooms, offices and support spaces received a cosmetic renovation. A new parking lot was established at the north western (lower) side of the building giving the school a parent/guardian drop-off/pick-up area that is separate from the bus drop-off/pick-up. The existing playing field was re-established and additional playground equipment was installed.

On Saturday, May 1, 2010, A. M. Kulp Elementary School held a Re-Dedication and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony to celebrate the completion of the project and officially dedicate the newly renovated building.